Thursday, June 5, 2014

Where to Go

I think maintenance is extremely important for dancers to keep their best selves in motion. When I say maintenance, I mean caring for yourself in ways like regularly getting massages or physical therapy. Getting a massage is a great way to release tightness in your muscles. Our muscles' main function is to hold our bones in place. If a muscle gets too tight it can pull the bones, joints, or ligaments in a way that could be potentially harmful. Once your muscles get tight it is crucial for you to get worked on so you can prevent an injury from happening. 

In the city there are so many masseuses. It was overwhelming for me to decide which one to go to. I had only been to our company masseuse, who works on us for fifteen minutes, for quick "fix me ups". Our company masseuse as well as other dancers recommended an outside massage place call Chinese Body Works on 72nd Street and Broadway. After going there many times, I want to give this place a wonderful review. 

At first I was skeptical about going. I didn't know if there were any specific things that I needed to do, like what to wear or how long I wanted the massage for. However, the people working at Chinese Body Works were extremely nice and welcoming. They said that since it was my first massage I should book an hour so I could get a full body treatment. They also said that I should just wear my underwear so they could work on everything without having to go through my clothes. The massage tables at Chinese Body Works are so comfortable to lay on. They provide soft blankets and play relaxing music so the whole experience is very calming; I almost fall asleep every time I go! There are different masseuses that each have different techniques to their work. They all vary in how deep or hard they press into your muscles. You can ask for certain masseuses depending on what you prefer. The prices also vary depending on how long you get your massage. Compared to other massage places, the prices at Chinese Body Works are the best. 

I want to thank the masseuses at Chinese Body Works for helping me prevent many oncoming injuries. I believe that these masseuses know how to release the tight muscles of a dancer they really know what they are doing! 


No comments:

Post a Comment