Sunday, July 20, 2014

Interview

On a layoff dancers try to take care of the wear and tear their bodies endured during the long season as much as they can. A secret tip that dancers use on the layoff to make our bodies to feel better is acupuncture. It is important to go to someone you trust for acupuncture and my fellow company members recommended Nicole DeLorey. I felt that Nicole would be a perfect person to ask about getting more insight on what acupuncture is and how important it is for dancers. I think Nicole will have good thoughts on why people use acupuncture for a form of body treatment. 



I asked her: 

1.) What is acupuncture?

Acupuncture is a part of Chinese Medicine that has been used for centuries to treat pain, stimulate the immune system and regulate the nervous system. It involves the insertion of extremely thin needles through the skin at strategic points in the body.

2.) How did you get started in acupuncture?

Like most acupuncturists, I received treatments that changed my life. I first sought treatment in my mid-twenties. It was just after 9/11 and NYC was a strange place to be. I was having a difficult time adjusting and couldn’t snap out of my funk. I went to my doctor because I thought maybe I was anemic or deficient in some way. Within a few minutes he prescribed me anti-depressants. I was extremely disheartened because I did not believe that was the answer and felt it was a rushed diagnosis. So I tried Acupuncture. My Acupuncturist listened to my story. Asked me all kinds of questions-what was my digestion, sleep, appetite like? Moods? Pains? Basically, everything you could think of. Then the treatment began and it wasn’t scary at all. The needles were nothing like what I had expected and I hardly felt them. When I left her office I felt completely different, there was a shift. I had space inside myself that I didn’t know I had. I could breath easier. Over the next year, no matter what my symptoms were-muscle pain, allergies, digestive issues-she always helped me if not completely healed me. So, I said to myself, you better learn how to do this.


3.) What did you have to do to become certified?

It's actually a license. Every state is different but in NY the requirement is a 3- year Masters degree program. Thousands of hours are invested in your training. I graduated from the Tri- State College of Acupuncture, where I currently teach, and it was a fantastic experience. We were exposed to many different styles of Acupuncture but concentrated on learning 3, TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine), APM (trigger point release/ fatigue patterns) and KM (Japanese Style).


4.) Why do you think dancers love it so much?

I think the dancers like the muscle release, which is just a small part of Acupuncture but very effective when working with athletes.  The style I teach at the college is called APM, it was developed by Dr. Mark Seem, the founder of TSCA. He worked closely with Dr. Janet Travell (pioneer of trigger point therapy) to develop a technique to release trigger points with an acupuncture needle. It is much less invasive than using a hollow point needle and injecting the muscles, which is what western medical doctors do. 

5.) Do you think it's important for dancers to come often?

Yes, weekly if you're getting you're muscles released. Post- treatment soreness can be quite intense if too much metabolic waste stores in the muscles and is released with the needles. If people come more often, less waste is stored in the tissue, which means less soreness and better muscle function which makes you less prone to injury.

6.) What is it about acupuncture that's beneficial to the body in contrast to massage?

Acupuncture can get the job done faster. I also have a license in massage therapy, and massage is an important and necessary modality but it simply can not break up adhesions and disperse trigger points in the same time and accuracy that Acupuncture can. 

7.) Is it scary to put needles in other people?

No, not at all. I am able to coach most people through their needle phobia because like I said earlier, acupuncture needles are nothing like the needles that most people are expecting. You may feel slight pressure when a needle goes in. Most people find that it doesn't hurt. The area may tingle or be a little sore. 

8.) Do you also follow a healthy life style regiment. Like practicing yoga or acupuncture for yourself. Do you try to eat as healthy as you can?

I think I live a balanced active life and lifestyle. I make healthy choices but I don’t deprive myself of something I enjoy. Neither should you, life is to short

I believe that the answers Nicole gave are wonderful. She explains how important it is for dancers to get their muscles released on a regular basis. Also she gives great explanation on what acupuncture is and what it takes to become licensed. I was curious to know if she was scared to put needles into someone because I would find that terrifying, but she responded that she had no fear! I really can't wait to make an appointment with her for an acupuncture session and finally meet her in person! Thank you Nicole for your time to answer these questions and your wonderful insight on acupuncture!

No comments:

Post a Comment