Sunday, July 6, 2014

Not the Calluses!

A callus is a hardened part of the skin usually in an area that is prone to friction. I've included a link that brings you to a better description of a callus and how they are formed.  A dancers foot is known to have many calluses along with many other imperfections like corns, in grown toe nails, blisters etc. Since dancers are in pointe shoes for many hours a day it is inevitable for their feet to form some sort of callus or bunion. 


Going to the nail salon to get a pedicure is a completely different experience now that I've been dancing professionally for seven years. I used to go to the salon without being embarrassed to show my feet. But now, I hear the nail technicians laugh when they see them. There are calluses on almost every one of my toes, but they are needed. I need my calluses so I can prevent blisters. When the nail technicians start to scrub my feet I immediately tell them to stop! I explain that I'm a dancer and that I need the callouses on my toes. The technician usually laughs, probably thinking that I must be crazy for wanting to keep them. 





I think that it is important to mention that the fit of a dancers pointe shoe can alter the amount of blisters, calluses, corns, bunions etc. they get. You can really hurt yourself if your shoe doesn't fit properly. Dancers should be fitted with specific measurements for their own feet to insure that it is the proper size. The New York City Ballet has its own shoe room where they order us our own personal shoes according to our specific measurements. I included a video below showing a dancers perspective on pointe shoes. 

Each dancer has their own requests for what they want done to their shoes. Some want more glue in them to make them harder and some want the side of the shoe cut down so they fit better. It is rare for dancers share the same shoe measurements as well as specifications they want made for their shoes. It can take a little trial and error to finalize how you want your shoes made, but it is important to take the time to make sure they fit properly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment